There are many schools that are still behind in their curriculum development. Unfortunately, it has been seen that
- some subjects not taught well,
- curriculum intent still needs to be implemented
- focus on curriculum is narrow
- there is no accountability
- the strategies used in planning and delivery is pre-2014 National Curriculum.
There are also schools that have a good curriculum where teachers have good subject knowledge and there are good checking systems. These are the schools we need to learn from.
My next step into curriculum development is to develop subject leaders in leading their subject so that we can ensure that all subjects are implemented well, teachers have good subject knowledge and there are good checking systems.
The following video shows Heather Fearn talking about what we need to think about in implementing our curriculum intent.
In creating a curriculum that moves into the 21st century and develops subject leaders’ knowledge we need to think about:
- What is taught?
- How it is taught?