After reading the Phase 3 findings of curriculum research, some things may be important to highlight and even if you don’t fancy reading it all, http://www.blackboardonline.co.uk can give the main points.
Here are factors that appear related to curriculum quality from the research and other leaders, and may be worth a look.
- the importance of mapping subjects as individual disciplines thereby focusing on subject disciplines even when topics are taught
- using the curriculum to address disadvantage and provide equality of opportunity, while addressing gaps in pupils’ background.
- considering the local context
- seeing the curriculum as the progression model
- considering depth and breadth of curriculum content
- having a clear purpose for assessment which informs curriculum design
- revisiting and recalling previously learned knowledge ‘baked into’ the curriculum planning
- regular reviewing and evaluating of curriculum design
- distributed curriculum leadership and ownership