When it is unclear on where to start on curriculum design, the diagram below is extremely helpful. I used this at the beginning of my journey, looking at what we had and what was important in establishing our curriculum.
Each part gives you something to think about and acts as a tick sheet to what makes a world class curriculum.
- The individual children, making sure that every single child’s needs are met.
- The characteristics of effective learning, ensuring that all children are engaged, motivated and thinking.
- The duties of your school that affects the curriculum and, in turn, the curriculum affects.
- Embedding skills for school and later life.
- Inclusion, safeguarding and equality are all intertwined within this diagram. Even though they are not shown, it is important to keep this clear in our minds.